Friday, December 26, 2008

Who to play 'Jacob Black'????

OK, now to get to the discussion part... My feelings on who should play the 'Jacob Black' role in 'New Moon'? Guess I'm prejudiced, since Taylor Lautner made me really like/appreciate the character of 'Jacob.' Actually, I didn't appreciate 'Jacob,' reading the books. ~ Before seeing Taylor's portrayal of 'Jacob' in 'Twilight.' So, having said this, how could I not want Taylor to have a shot at playing 'Jacob' in 'New Moon'?

That said, I feel that Taylor was perfect, to play the 'young Jacob.' But in 'New Moon,' he physically ages/changes. And not just the shape-shifting part. The boy 'Jacob' becomes the man 'Jacob.' [Suppose my beef should be with Stephenie for writing the character, as changing so drastically, so quickly... -grin- But of course, it was her book and she could do whatever she wanted to do, with her characters!!!]

So, how do I reconcile Taylor being the perfect young 'Jacob'?... With what has to happen in 'NM'? I sort of can't. Not, if going completely by the book, anyway. But! Technically, 'Rosalie' is supposed to be the "most beautiful female in the world" and all that. And I simply do not see the 'Rosalie' actor as being thus. She has the attitude down pat. But she looks more 'hard' to me, than 'most beautiful...'

And... remember 'Alice's' spiky hair, in the book? I love, love, love how they wigged Ashley Greene, in 'Twilight.' She's a perfect 'Alice', to me. But technically, that wig, is not the 'Alice' hair of 'Twilight.'

And Emmet has curly hair, in the book. Not so, in the movie.


My point ~ visuals [as written in the book] have already been changed. So, does 'Jacob' have to grow quite as much as his character does, in the book? And if not, why can't Taylor continue to play the role?

I've seen the name of Michael Capon spoken of, as possible replacement. And yes, Taylor and he do resemble one another. But! I don't
personally know anything about this Michael Capon... Never saw his acting, or him, before this buzz. I've only read some about him, on Twilight web sites. But it scares me that some say he is a terrible actor. And I also don't like it, that he's supposed to have jumped the gun, and promoted himself as 'Jacob,' before any such decision was made. -wrinkles nose- If that's true, it sounds much too full-of-himself, for me to accept/like him [M. Capon] as 'Jacob.'

And if all this is not enough angst... There is the whole issue of... Why didn't they cast a Native American actor, as 'Jacob Black' in the first place? After reading on this topic, I can see Native Americans having a real point, with this issue.

Sooooo ~ Lots of angst. And it's still early in the game of making 'NM'! What happens next? What decisions will be made, by 'the powers that be'? How much will they listen to the fan base? If at all? -sigh-

OK, I've put my 2 cents worth in too. ,-) Other ideas/questions can be found in these comments.
How do we solve all this? [As if 'the powers that be' are gonna' listen to us but.... Why not talk about it anyway, hu?]



3 comments:

Unhinged said...

Hmmm, why didn't your two new posts show up in my Google feed?

Anyway, I do understand what you're getting at when you write that the movie character's images don't necessarily have to match what we saw in our heads as we read the book. To a certain point, this is subjective, although physical characteristics of the main leads had to be there.

It's not just about visuals, though. I need a believable man Jacob. Most of New Moon was dedicated to the wolves and there was a lot of mention about Jacob's rapid growth and change in appearance. So in this sense, the actor's size and appearance of age is going to count. (Didn't Lautner's agent hope for CGI effects in this regard?)

I also need to believe in someone who will make me genuinely sorry that he's not Bella's first choice. If they're true to the book, Jacob's going to have to project a definite feeling of wolfish danger. He's going to have to be more than big and pretty.

I don't think TPTB care much about what us fans think of this issue, though: who should play Jacob in New Moon. It's fun to have a place to share an opinion, though. :-)

Tessa Talk said...

Unhinged commented; "Hmmm, why didn't your two new posts show up in my Google feed?"

I notice this too, at times. Maybe there's some lag, in Google Reader? Sure hope it's self-correcting though...

Thank you for your comments concerning the making of 'New Moon.' I see everything you said.

As to what did Lautner's agent think? I wonder if the choice of actors [for 'Twilight'] was made, with only 'Twilight' in mind? And no thought to possible filming of 'New Moon'? So much has been said about how the extent of the 'Twi.' fan base was not expected. I could see how they simply wanted to make 'Twilight.' Not even expecting a whole series of films, to materialize. Maybe...

And yes, the 'NM' Jacob will have to _be_ a plausible 'rival' for Edward. Could Lautner pull it off? I'm not sure. He has matured much, from when he was first hired. But...

With this long delay in any sort of news on this 'big issue,' I can hope that it's being worked out well. I'd prefer to see Lautner in the beginning of 'NM,' since 'Jacob' takes a while, to fully change. But! Could the switch of actors, be done well? -sigh-

For sure, 'the powers that be' have their work cut out for them. Fingers and toes crossed, that they do the _best_ job possible, with all their decisions.

And in the end, no film can fulfill every fans wishes/ideas. Sad to say but so. I guess we need to go into 'NM' with the same forgiving attitude, that I tried to give to 'Twilight,' ahead of time.

But! That's going to be a lot harder to do, this time. I admit. The forgiving attitude, I mean...

Tessa

Unhinged said...

Hey, Tessa. Your posts showed up in my Reader this morning. So never fear, I'll follow you here sooner or later.

Also, I removed your mirror comment in my blog because there, it is off-topic (sorry). I've subscribed to the follow-up comments here, so no worries. You can't hide, lol.

~*~*~*~

When you wrote that no film can fulfill our wishes, you're probably right (because we've read the books first). I'm sitting trying to think of one example to refute that, and I can't. I know I've read books based on movies after loving a movie (The Pelican Brief and The Client come to mind), but dang it, every director has his chance.

God, I feel picky. By the time March rolls around (when they begin filming), I might be all film-talked out.